Just Asian

Yeah, I'm Asian. I don't self-identify as East Asian or SE Asian. I'm just Asian.

I usually make people work to guess what ethnicity I am. Sometimes I let them have a win and nod at their first (presumed) educated guess. I'm a walking Trivia Pursuit.

In the 80s and 90s I was often asked what "nationality" I was. Now the word inquirers use is ethnicity. We have come a long way, Baby.

I fit the profile of an Asian driver. I can't see the hood of my car while in the driver's seat. I usually have to park three times before I'm satisfied. I back into parking spaces because I don't have a camera on the front end of my car.

Driving while Asian is a loving term that my BFF frequently references when she talks about my antics. (I can name 5 BFFs at any given moment. Life's too short to have only one!) I figured levity is always appropriate when talking about how life is kicking my ass. Hence, Thriving While Asian was created.

I am thriving while Asian. In this blog I will share the good, the bad, and the ugly of being Asian, of being a woman, of being short (this is not a redundancy!!), etc. It's the yin and yang of life. I strive to always end on a positive note.

My lao wai BFF told me this joke while walking to our cars:

How do Chinese parents name their kids?

(Her eyes were wide with anticipation.)

By throwing pots and pans around.

I covered my mouth with both hands to suppress my laughter. She had this tentative look on her face. Uncertain whether she'd misjudged my sense of humor.

"That's really funny," I admitted. I had to relieve her of her doubt.

"You think it's funny?" she asked. She looked relieved. "Because that joke wouldn't work with Japanese parents, would it?" This time I didn't suppress my laughter.

There are few people who could tell me this joke and elicit a laughter from me. I knew this in the instant I heard the punchline exit my BFFs mouth. She gets me. That's why the joke was funny.

I can't quite explain how it might have been offensive had someone else told me that same joke. They likely would've told the joke in a self-assured tone. And when I didn't produce a laugh, they would've asked my why I didn't laugh. Maybe it's this assumption of funny that is the difference. It's the "can't you take a joke" attitude.

I have yet to meet a Pollock who laughs at the "How many Pollocks does it take to change a light bulb" joke.

Next post I'll highlight the shortcomings of sober swiping on Tinder.

Thanks for reading! Please share this blog with someone who has a sense of humor :)



Comments